Helping them reach their goals in school with an IEP or 504 plan

School provides a chance for children to learn about the world around them and make friends. CGD shouldn’t stand in their way. However, long hospitalizations or absences from school due to infections may require special accommodations. Schools use 2 programs to support your child. These are called an individual education program (IEP) or a 504 plan. This table can help you decide which program is right for your child. You can also download a copy of the table for yourself by clicking Download below.

IEP/504 Plan Guide

A side-by-side comparison of the 2 support programs available for school children


Support plans for your child

IEP 504

What is it?

A written plan customized to support students aged 3 to 22 years

A written document for any student in public school who has a disability

Who is eligible?

Student must fit 1 of 13 disability categories

Student can have any disability, including physical or mental impairment 

What’s in the plan?

Document outlines goals that include:

  • Current school performance
  • Goals for the year
  • Outline of special help the student will receive, including more time to complete tests

Doesn’t have to be written or list specific goals, but includes:

  • Specific accommodations for the student to participate in the classroom
  • Who will provide services and support
  • Who is responsible for making sure the plan is carried out

Who creates the plan?

By law, a multiperson team including:

  • The parent
  • The student’s teacher
  • A special education teacher
  • A school psychologist
  • A special education services representative
  • Sometimes the child

No legal standard regarding who is involved, but typically includes:

  • The parent
  • The general classroom teacher
  • A special education teacher
  • The school principal

How often is progress reviewed?

Required at least once a year

Not required, but usually once a year 

How much does it cost?

No cost to families

No cost to families

Learn more to do more

You can get more information about IEPs at the US Department of Education website. The Department of Education also offers helpful information about 504 plans to get you started.

Turn your inbox into a help box

Stay updated with helpful information about managing CGD.

Important Safety Information

What is ACTIMMUNE® (Interferon gamma-1b) used for?

ACTIMMUNE® is part of a drug regimen used to treat Chronic Granulomatous Disease, or CGD. CGD is a genetic disorder, usually diagnosed in childhood, that affects some cells of the immune system and the body's ability to fight infections effectively. CGD is often treated (though not cured) with antibiotics, antifungals, and ACTIMMUNE.

ACTIMMUNE is also used to slow the worsening of severe, malignant osteopetrosis (SMO). SMO is a genetic disorder that affects normal bone formation and is usually diagnosed in the first few months after birth.

When should I not take ACTIMMUNE?

Don't use ACTIMMUNE if you are allergic to interferon-gamma, E coli-derived products, or any ingredients contained in the product.

What warnings should I know about ACTIMMUNE?

At high doses, ACTIMMUNE can cause (flu-like) symptoms, which may worsen some pre-existing heart conditions.

ACTIMMUNE may cause decreased mental status, walking disturbances, and dizziness, particularly at very high doses. These symptoms are usually reversible within a few days upon dose reduction or discontinuation of therapy.

Bone marrow function may be suppressed with ACTIMMUNE, and decreased production of cells important to the body may occur. This effect, which can be severe, is usually reversible when the drug is discontinued or the dose is reduced.

Taking ACTIMMUNE may cause reversible changes to your liver function, particularly in patients less than 1 year old. Your doctor should monitor your liver function every 3 months, and monthly in children under 1 year.

In rare cases, ACTIMMUNE can cause severe allergic reactions and/or rash. If you experience a serious reaction to ACTIMMUNE, discontinue it immediately and contact your doctor or seek medical help.

What should I tell my healthcare provider?

Be sure to tell your doctor about all the medications you are taking.

Tell your doctor if you:

  • are pregnant or plan to become pregnant or plan to nurse
  • have a cardiac condition such as irregular heartbeat, heart failure, or decreased blood flow to your heart
  • have a history of seizures or other neurologic disorders
  • have, or have had, reduced bone marrow function. Your doctor will monitor these cells with blood tests at the beginning of therapy and at 3-month intervals on ACTIMMUNE therapy

What are the side effects of ACTIMMUNE?

The most common side effects with ACTIMMUNE are "flu-like" symptoms such as fever, headache, chills, muscle pain, or fatigue, which may decrease in severity as treatment continues. Bedtime administration of ACTIMMUNE may help reduce some of these symptoms. Acetaminophen may be helpful in preventing fever and headache.

What other medications might interact with ACTIMMUNE?

Some drugs may interact with ACTIMMUNE to potentially increase the risk of damage to your heart or nervous system, such as certain chemotherapy drugs. Tell your doctor about all other medications you are taking.

Avoid taking ACTIMMUNE at the same time as a vaccination.

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

The risk information provided here is not comprehensive. To learn more, talk about ACTIMMUNE with your healthcare provider or pharmacist. The FDA-approved product labeling can be found at or 1-866-479-6742.